BEFORE YOU BEGIN
1. Verify that all institutions enrolling into the CIRB have a Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP) Site Code.
NOTE: Veterans Administration (VA) medical centers must contact the Office of Research and Development prior to beginning the enrollment process with the CIRB.
2. Confirm that all institutions are affiliated with a Network Group. The current list of supported Networks includes:
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network (NCTN)
- NCI Experimental Therapeutics Clinical Trials Network (ETCTN)
- NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP)
- Phase 0/I/II Cancer Prevention Clinical Trials Program (Consortia) and Cancer Prevention Clinical Trials Network (CP-CTNet)
- Adult Brain Tumor Consortium (ABTC)
- Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium (PBTC)
- AIDS Malignancy Consortium (AMC)
To begin enrollment, an institution must apply for CIRB membership. This part of the process includes:
- Submitting an Enrollment Form (for institutions without a local IRB, you must complete and submit the Oversight Questionnaire along with your Enrollment Form)
- Signing the Authorization Agreement. The office of the NCI CIRB will send your Signatory Official, as identified in the Enrollment Form, the Authorization Agreement via DocuSign for electronic signature. Please let the official know to expect the email from DocuSign.
Once the agreement is signed by all parties, all identified staff will receive a copy of the fully executed agreement. The NCI CIRB will then provide you with information regarding the next steps.There is also a sample, non-executable version of the Authorization Agreement available for your review.
- Establishing the institution's main contact, plus any additional contacts, who will be interacting with the CIRB. The CIRB Operations Office provides individuals identified on the Enrollment Form access to the CIRB roster. For more information, go to Updating Your CIRB Person Roster using RUMS and Updating Your CIRB Institution Roster using RUMS.
If you are at a Consortia or CP-CTNet site, go to Navigating The CIRB For Consortia Sites And Cancer Prevention Clinical Trial Network (CP-CTNet) Organizations for information on how processes vary for you.
To facilitate roster updates, you should ensure any PI that will be participating in the CIRB has the four CIRB registration numbers added to their 1572 in RCR. The four IRB registration numbers for the CIRB are:
- Adult Early Phase CIRB - IRB00009430
- Adult Late Phase CIRB - IRB00000781
- Pediatric CIRB - IRB00004296
- Cancer Prevention & Control CIRB - IRB00010018
After completing Part 1, the institution will then be granted access to CIRB Worksheets to establish the institution’s local context.
Updated February 29, 2024